Mexican chicken soup tops a comfort food favorite with tortilla strips and queso fresco...and adds some cilantro and jalapeño, of course!
Fall Cheese Recipes
Page 3: Mexican-Style Chicken Soup With Queso Fresco
This is Page 3 of an eight-page article. Click the links below to navigate among the pages. Learn more about cheese by skimming through our Cheese Glossary.
All-Cheese Dinner Menu
Mexican-Style Chicken Soup With Queso Fresco
For a soup course, try this dish from Chef Bernard Laskowski, of Park Grill in Chicago. It’s topped with queso fresco,
a soft, moist, fine-grained cheese. It crumbles readily, and is frequently used as a topping or filling in cooked dishes like enchiladas, refried beans, salads, soups, tostadas and taco salads. (Learn more about queso fresco and other Hispanic cheeses).
Yields 12 to 16 servings.
- 1 gallon cold water (or enough to
entirely cover chicken bones)
- 2 cups white wine
- 3 to 4 pounds chicken bones,
- 2 Spanish onions, peeled and
- 3 large carrots, peeled and
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tablespoon whole black
- 2 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 5 sprigs cilantro
- 5 sprigs parsley
- 1 whole jalapeño
- 1 whole bay leaf
Even if you don’t make Mexican chicken soup, you can try the crumbly goodness of queso fresco atop your own recipe.
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 Roma tomatoes, blanched, peeled and chopped
- 1 Spanish onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilled and finely diced
- 8 small corn tortillas, thinly sliced and fried
- 8 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- 12 ounces queso fresco, crumbled
- 4 limes, cut into quarters
- Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours, periodically skimming the foam from the stock.
- Strain the stock and return to a clean stockpot.
- Season stock with salt and pepper. Add vegetables and bring to a simmer. Cook until all vegetables are fork-tender.
- Add chicken to soup and return to a simmer (do not boil) for 10 minutes.
- For service, transfer soup to serving bowls. Top each bowl with tortilla strips, cilantro sprigs and queso fresco. Serve lime wedges on rim of bowl.
Next Recipe: Gruyère Soufflé With Endive & Apple Salad
Go To The Recipe Index Above
Recipe © copyright Roth Käse USA. Additional material © Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.