Smoked Gouda plus peppers, cucumbers and edamame make this festive vegetarian sandwich a lunchtime delight.
Summer Cheese Recipes
Page 3: Smoked Gouda Veggie Club Sandwich
This is Page 3 of a six-part article. Click the black links below to view the other recipes.
Smoked Gouda Veggie Club
This hearty sandwich was created by Regi Hise, a Roth Käse corporate chef. For a protein source, there’s Gouda cheese and hummus. The inclusion of fresh vegetables and whole-grain bread ensures you’re eating a healthy, delicious lunch.
Although Holland’s most famous cheese is produced in modern, computerized dairy plants, the cheese is still smoked in ancient brick ovens over smoldering hickory chip embers. The brown, smoky rind is not only edible; many consider it to be the best part of the cheese. Unlike many supermarket cheeses, Roth Käse’s smoked Gouda is made with real Gouda and naturally smoked with hickory (as opposed to flavored with liquid smoke). Read all about Gouda cheese in our in-depth article.
Smoked Gouda from iGourmet.com.
- 6 thin slices whole grain bread
- 1/2 cup hummus, divided
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 4 to 6 leaves green leaf lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 6 slices smoked Gouda
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (try one from The Ojai Cook, a NIBBLE Top Pick)
- 1/4 cup edamame, cooked, cooled and divided (or sprouts)
- 1/2 small English cucumber, sliced into thin ribbons
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- Spread hummus evenly on four slices of bread for the top and bottom pieces. Layer the two bottom slices with avocado, lettuce leaves, tomato and smoked Gouda.
- Spread mayonnaise (or additional hummus) on both sides of remaining (center) two slices. Place these slices on top of the bottom layer.
- Layer center the slices with edamame or sprouts, cucumber ribbons and bell peppers. Top with the remaining two slices of hummus-spread bread. Secure with toothpick, if necessary.
Next Recipe: Spiced Walnut And Serafina Cheese Sandie
Return To Recipe Index Above
Recipe © copyright Roth Käse USA. Additional material © Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.