Comfort food: pumpkin soup
Recipe: Smooth Pumpkin Soup
A Fall And Winter Treat
A warm and hearty bowl of soup is comfort food. While most of us know the joys of a slice of pumpkin pie, few know the happiness of a bowl of pumpkin soup. Fresh pumpkin makes the best soup, but you can make a quick soup with canned pumpkin. Enjoy with warm, crusty bread. Serves 4.
- 10 to 11 ounces of pumpkin flesh
- 1/2 onion
- 13.5 fluid ounces chicken stock*
- 13.5 fluid ounces milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper
- Finely chopped parsley
- Crusty bread
- Remove the seeds and skin of the pumpkin, and cut the flesh into 1/4" thick slices. Thinly slice the onion.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and cook for a few moments. Add the pumpkin and stir some more. Next, add the chicken stock, bring to the boil and then simmer over a medium heat for 7-8 minutes (until the pumpkin has softened).
- Liquidize the mixture using a food processor, blender or hand-held blender, then return to the pan, add the milk and heat through once more. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve, sprinkled with chopped parsley.
*Read our review of Savory Creations chicken stock.
Recipe and photo © 2007 UMAMI Information Center. All rights reserved. Other material © Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved.