Make this dish with purple Peruvian potatoes for an exciting color display of white sauce on purple potato slices.
Product Reviews / Main Nibbles / Vegetables
Recipe: Peruvian Potatoes With Feta Sauce
Comfort Food With A Pinch Of Spice
The rich flavor of melting cheese and warm potato in this dish, adapted from an original Peruvian recipe, makes it comfort food laden with umami flavor, accented with a bit of chile heat. Due to universal lack of availability of some of the original ingredients, small alterations have been made to the original recipe. We’ve shown the recipe made with regular potatoes, but use purple Peruvian potatoes if you can find them.
- 4 potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, hard boiled
- Various salad leaves to garnish
(we like watercress, spinach, arugula, kale or other red/purple leaf)
1 cup heavy cream
3.5 ounces (100g) feta cheese (substitute cottage, ricotta or another fresh cheese), diced
1/4 teaspoon finely chopped mild chiles (ancho, poblano, jalapeño—learn more about chiles in our Chile Glossary)
- Fresh-ground black pepper
- Peel the potatoes and cut into slices 1/3" to 1/2" wide.
- Boil water in a pan and add the salt. Boil the potatoes for approximately 8 minutes or until soft, then drain the water.
- Place the double cream, feta cheese and chiles into a frying pan over a low heat. Melt the ingredients while stirring with a wooden spatula so as not to scorch the sauce.
- Place the salad leaves and a portion of the potatoes onto a plate together with a hard boiled egg which has been halved. Pour some of the cheese sauce over the top.
These purple Peruvian potatoes are available from
Recipe © Umami Information Center, UmamiInfo.com. All rights reserved. All other material
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Photos are copyright of their respective owners.