They’ll ask you for the recipe for this delicious Stuffed French Toast. Photo courtesy Zabars.com.
Cream Cheese-Stuffed Baked French Toast Recipe
An Easy Base Recipe For Banana French Toast Or Your Favorite Variations
CAPSULE REPORT: There’s no need to go out for an expensive brunch to celebrate a holiday or special occasion. Just set the table with fresh flowers, make this Stuffed French Toast Recipe from Zabar’s creative director Andrea Watman and serve it with a Demi Sec or Sec Champagne (they’re slightly sweet and go best with the maple syrup).
Stuffed French Toast Recipe
There are variations on this recipe below—everything from Banana-Stuffed French Toast to Holiday French Toast with cinnamon, apples, nuts and raisins.
One of the beauties of this recipe is that it can be prepared the night before and refrigerated; then just bake and serve hot the next morning.
- 1 pound brioche loaf sliced into 12 slices
(substitute challah or 6 croissants)
- 6 eggs
- 1 pound cream cheese
- ½ cup real maple syrup
- 1-½ cups milk
- ½ teaspoon real vanilla extract
- Real maple syrup for topping
- Fresh strawberries or seasonal berries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix milk, eggs, vanilla and maple syrup together.
- Place half the bread in a greased pan (9” x 13” or a round soufflé dish).
- Spoon the cream cheese onto the bread. (If you are using a cream
cheese brick, just cut into cubes).
- Cover with half of the liquid batter.
- Place the remaining bread on top, and pour the balance of the
liquid batter on top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, bake for 45 minutes.
- Warm the maple syrup in the microwave in a microwave-proof pitcher.
- Banana French Toast (And Other Fruit)
You can add fresh fruit to the cream cheese layer: bananas, fresh blueberries and peaches work well. For Banana French Toast, add sliced bananas to the layer and a mashed banana to the liquid batter.
- Peanut Butter French Toast
Substitute peanut butter for cream cheese. Add a mashed banana to the liquid batter for PB Banana French Toast.
Substitute cinnamon for the vanilla and add a layer of sliced apples to the cream cheese. Top with chopped pecans and raisins.
Alternatives To Maple Syrup Topping
- Brown sugar
- Agave nectar (low glycemic and in flavors like vanilla)
Recipe © Copyright Andrea Watman. All other material © Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are copyright of their respective owners.