Guests are sure to appreciate this sophisticated melding of mild Gouda, beer sorbet and apricot gelée.
Summer Cheese Recipes
Page 5: Vintage Van Gogh Gouda-Style Cheese With Apricot Gelée & Beer Sorbet
This is Page 5 of a six-part article. Click the black links below to view the other recipes.
Vintage Van Gogh Cheese With Apricot Gelée And Beer Sorbet
This unique dessert melds the flavors of mild Gouda-style cheese with apricot and a sorbet made from your favorite light beer. It will make an impressive finale to your next dinner party. The recipe was created by Chef/owner Jose Gutierrez of Encore restaurant in Memphis.
About Vintage Van Gogh Cheese
Vintage Van Gogh is an aged Gouda-style cheese, made in Wisconsin by Roth Käse. A cow’s milk cheese, it is aged six to eight months (in contrast to the three to five years of typical aged Goudas. It has a wonderfully mellow and creamy texture, with a slight hint of caramel. Read more about Gouda.
- 10 fresh apricots (or enough to yield 2 cups juice)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Pinch of ground green cardamom
- 5 gelatin leaves, softened in water
- 4 12-ounce bottles light beer
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- Juice of 1 medium lemon
Gouda-Style Cheese With Apricot Gelée & Beer Sorbet
- 6 small slices country bread, toasted
- 6 ounces Vintage Van Gogh or other Gouda-style cheese,
sliced into thin squares (1 ounce each)
- 6 small slices apricot gelée
- 6 scoops beer sorbet
- Fresh mint to garnish
- Juice apricots in a juicer. Transfer juice to a medium saucepan, add sugar and cardamom, and bring to a boil. Stir in gelatin.
- Transfer mixture to a sheet pan (mixture should not rise more than 1/4 inch). Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Mix together all ingredients and process in an ice cream maker following manufacturer's instructions for sorbet.
Cheese With Apricot Gelée & Beer Sorbet
- Top each slice of toast with one slice cheese and one slice apricot gelée.
- Arrange three toast slices per plate, and serve with beer sorbet (in a separate glass or bowl).
- Garnish with mint.
Next Recipe: Vodka Martini With Buttermilk Blue Stuffed Olives
Return To Recipe Index Above
Recipes and photos © copyright Roth Käse USA. Additional material © Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved.