Perfect for Passover or any other time of the year
Recipe: Veggie Matzo Brie
Accented With Cheese
Not your grandmother’s matzo brie, this adds vegetarian flair: carrots and broccoli, some tasty cheese, and for an international touch, Dijon mustard and pesto! The recipe is courtesy of Cabot Creamery, which has many delicious recipes at CabotCheese.com—and makes the best butter and Monterey Jack to use in this recipe.
- 1-1/2 sheets matzo
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh broccoli or frozen broccoli, thawed and squeezed dry
- Prepared basil pesto* (optional)
*Read our review of the best pestos.
- Break matzo into 2-inch pieces. Place in medium bowl and cover with warm water. Set aside until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Drain matzo, squeeze dry and return to bowl. Add eggs, cheese, mustard and salt; whisk to combine.
- Preheat broiler. In an 8" nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add carrots and broccoli and cook, stirring, until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Pour matzo mixture over vegetables in skillet and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until underside is nicely browned, about 10 minutes (top will not be set).
- Place skillet under broiler (cover handle with heavy duty foil if not heat-proof). Cook mixture until top is set and golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Cut into quarters and serve. Top with pesto, if desired.
| Calories: 285
Calories From Fat: 181
Total Fat: 19g
Saturated Fat: 9g
| Cholesterol: 244mg
| Dietary Fibers: 2g
Recipe © copyright Cabot Creamery. Additional material © Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved.