Cheddar Crisps. Recipe courtesy of Cabot.
Recipe: Cheddar Crisps
A More Flavorful Version Of Mozzarella Sticks
Given the popularity of mozzarella sticks at restaurants, and the popularity of cheddar cheese everywhere, why aren’t the two concepts combined? Cheddar has more punch than mozzarella, resulting in a cheesier cheese stick. Here’s the crispy-coated, melted cheese result, compliments of Cabot® Cheese and their award-winning cheddar.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt, preferably sea or kosher
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 cups panko (coarse Japanese breadcrumbs) or plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 12 crosswise slices (1/4-inch-thick) from an
8-ounce bar of Cabot’s Sharp Cheddar
- Vegetable oil
- Marinara or other tomato sauce for dipping (optional)
- In small bowl, combine the flour with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- In second small bowl, beat together egg whites and milk with a fork or whisk until combined.
- In a third bowl, stir together breadcrumbs and almonds.
- Dip both sides of each cheese slice into the flour, then the egg white mixture, then the breadcrumb mixture, making sure slice is completely covered.
- Place slices on a large plate or baking sheet and place in freezer until firm, about 10 minutes. Discard any unused breadcrumb mixture.
- Place a large, nonstick skillet over high heat and add enough oil to lightly cover the bottom. When the oil is hot, add the frozen cheddar slices. Cook until golden brown on the underside, then turn over and cook until golden on the second side and melted inside.
- Heat the tomato sauce (can be microwaved).
- Can be served on a platter as individual portions.
Makes 12 snack servings.
Recipe courtesy of Cabot Creamery and Chef Jon Ashton.
© Copyright 2005-2013 Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.