A tropical treat! This Hawaiian-inspired recipe pairs sweet, fresh pineapple with chicken in a zesty marinade. Photo courtesy J.M. Smucker Company.
Recipe: Lani-Ono Island Chicken
Pineapple Mango Chicken
This pineapple mango chicken recipe was a finalist in the 2009 Crisco Grilling Hall Of Fame Contest. You can read about the contest on Page 1 of this recipe series. This is Page 10 of a 15-page article. Click on the black links below to visit other pages.
Lani-Ono Island Chicken
This recipe brings the sweet, fruity fusion flavors of the Hawaiian Islands onto the plate with a wonderful side of coconut macadamia rice. It’s a better dish than you’ll get at almost any restaurant! You can also make it with a white-fleshed fish. Serves 4.
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- Juice and zest of 3 limes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-½ pounds of chicken: breast, thigh or legs
- No-stick cooking spray
Maika’i Coconut-Macadamia Rice
- ½ cup toasted coconut
- ¼ cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 4 cups cooked white or sticky rice
Pua Lei Pineapple-Mango Salsa
- 1 mango, diced
- 2 cups pineapple, diced
- ½ medium onion, diced
- ½ cup cilantro, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
Hana Hou Tortilla Chips
- 6 tortillas cut into strips
- 2 cups oil for frying
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine all marinade ingredients together. Marinate chicken 1 hour to overnight.
- Prepare rice by stirring cooked rice, coconut and macadamia nuts together. Heat if needed. Cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
- For the pineapple-mango salsa, place all ingredients together in a large bowl. Stir. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For tortilla chips, in a small bowl, combine cinnamon, sugar and salt. Set aside. Fry tortilla chips by placing tortilla strips in a large skillet with oil heated to medium-low heat. When strips are lightly browned, turn over and fry on other side until lightly browned. Remove from heat, and immediately sprinkle with cinnamon mixture. Set aside until ready to serve. (Can be fried up to 24 hours in advance, if needed).
- Prepare chicken for grilling by removing it from the marinade. Prepare grill by heating to low heat, and spraying grill racks with no-stick cooking spray. Place chicken on heated grill. Cover and cook 7-9 minutes, or until meat is nicely browned on one side. Turn over and grill on opposite side another 5-7 minutes, or until center is cooked through. Remove cooked chicken from heat, and serve over rice, with salsa atop and tortilla chips on the side.
Go To Page 11: Lemon-Rosemary Shrimp
Go To Recipe Index At The Top Of The Page
Recipe copyright 2009 J.M. Smucker Company. All rights reserved. Other material