Radicchio adds color to this festive salad that includes Bourbon-soaked raisins and spiced pecans. Radicchio salad recipe and photo courtesy Royal Rose Radicchio.
Product Reviews / Main Nibbles / Vegetables
Radicchio Salad Recipe
Festive Fare For Any Occasion
CAPSULE REPORT: The way to make a salad sing is to add interesting ingredients beyond the salad greens. Here, colorful red radicchio joins bourbon-soaked raisins and spiced pecans.
This recipe was developed by Kathy Cary, chef/owner of Lilly’s in Louisville, Kentucky. It serves 4 to 6 as a salad course.
Find more salad recipes.
- 1 small head of radicchio, roughly
- 1 head of endive, leaves pulled apart
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup celery, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Radicchio can be found in round heads like the ones above, in long heads the shape of romaine, and other forms. Photo courtesy Royal Rose Radicchio.
- 1/3 cup raisins, soaked in 2 teaspoons bourbon for 2 hours
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons fine quality blue cheese (substitute fresh goat cheese if you don’t like blue cheese)
- Lightly toast pecans with spices and brown sugar in a skillet (how to toast spices). You can do this a day ahead and store the pecans in an airtight container.
- Mix vinaigrette and toss lightly with salad ingredients.
- Divide toppings among salad plates and garnish with raisins, pecans, and blue cheese.
Related Food Videos:
For more food videos, check out The Nibble's Food Video Collection.
Recipe © Copyright Royal Rose Radicchio. Other material © Copyright 2005-
2015 Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.