An intoxicating spice blend from India and a prized seed popular in Latin America combine in this delightful fish dish.
Recipe: Pepita-Crusted Halibut With Blood Orange Jicama Chutney
A Spiced, Crunchy Addition To Your Halibut Recipes
For those looking for new and interesting halibut recipes, here’s a combination guaranteed to become a favorite. Garam masala*, an aromatic spice blend from India, seasons a crunchy pepita (pumpkin seed) crust for the halibut. Fresh mango, jicama and blood orange make a refreshing complement to the crispy fish.
*The garam masala blend will vary by manufacturer, but generally includes cardamom, cinnamon, clove, cumin, nutmeg and/or mace, and peppercorn.
Yields 4 servings.
- 3 blood oranges or small seedless
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup matchstick jicama strips
- 1/3 cup cubed peeled mango
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
- 2-1/4 teaspoons garam masala,
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh
- 1/2 cup unsalted pepitas (shelled
pumpkin seeds or kernels), coarsely
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 4 halibut fillets (about 1-inch thick),
skin removed (1 to 1-1/3 pounds)
Garam masala and pepitas are a beautifully matched global combination.
- To prepare the Blood Orange Jicama Chutney, peel and section 2 of the oranges. Squeeze juice from remaining orange. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in large nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add jicama; cook and stir 3 minutes or until tender-crisp. Add mango, onion, 1/4 cup of the orange juice, vinegar, agave nectar and 1/4 teaspoon of the garam masala; cook and stir 1 minute or until sauce is slightly thickened and heated through.
- Remove from
heat. Stir in orange sections and cilantro. Spoon chutney into bowl. Set aside.
- To prepare the crust for the halibut, mix pepitas, remaining 2 teaspoons garam masala and sea salt in shallow dish.
- Brush fish with egg white. Coat both sides evenly with pepita mixture.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in large nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add fish; cook 3 to 4 minutes per side or until fish flakes easily with fork and crust is crisp and golden brown. Serve with Blood Orange Jicama Chutney.
Recipe © 2008 McCormick. All rights reserved. Other material