This poached pear with raspberry coulis, elegant enough for a dinner party, is a perfect end to breakfast or brunch
Updated September 2009
Brunch Recipes For A Special Occasion
Page 1: Fancy French Toast Recipe Ideas
CAPSULE REPORT: Our friends at BnBFinder.com have provided us some very appetizing recipes for a special breakfast or brunch. If you can’t get away to one of these bed & breakfasts, at least you can replicate the recipes at home. This is Page 1 of a three-page article. Click on the black links below to visit other pages.
Banana-Stuffed French Toast With Chocolate
Ah, chocolate for breakfast! This beauty of a dish looks like a grand dessert—and with chocolate, bananas and raspberries, it could be! It’s the creation of The Kingsleigh Inn, located just 100 yards from the water in the charming fishing village of Southwest Harbor, Maine. Most of the breakfasts incorporate local ingredients and heavily favor fruits and vegetables (the exception being Candied Maple Bacon, a guest favorite). You can hike it off in neighboring Acadia National Park.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon banana extract or
- 1 very ripe large banana
- 8 slices thick-sliced brioche,
challah, or country white bread
- Chocolate sauce to garnish
- Powdered sugar to dust
Banana-Stuffed French Toast from the
- Slice the banana very thin and divide it among 4 pieces of the bread. Place a second piece of bread on top.
- Beat the eggs, half-and-half, sugar and extract or liqueur in bowl. Dip the “sandwiches” into the mixture and flip, to ensure even soaking.
- Fry both sides on a medium-hot griddle until nicely browned. Cut and dust both sides with powdered sugar. Drizzle with chocolate sauce. Serve atop raspberry coulis (see recipe below). Or, if the creative muse strikes, do the polka dot and swirl design shown above, with the chocolate sauce and coulis.
Grand Marnier French Toast
A classic preparation, French toast topped with fresh fruit tossed in Grand Marnier is sure to please. It is served at 10 Fitch Historic Inn in Auburn, New York. After brunch, guests can visit nearby historic houses, the Cayuga wineries and a wildlife refuge. Or, go horseback riding and come back for a massage.
Grand Marnier French Toast from 10 Fitch Historic Inn.
- 1 loaf one-day-old bread,
- 5 eggs
- ¼ to ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ to ½ cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ¼-½ cup Grand Marnier
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Maple syrup
- Fruit to garnish
- Powdered sugar to garnish
- Mix all ingredients except bread and butter in large bowl and whisk together.
- Place slices of bread in egg mixture. Let soak for about 5 minutes.
- Melt butter in large skillet. Sear soaked slices on all sides including crusts until crisp.
- Top with berries or other fresh fruit and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with warmed maple syrup.
Continue To Next Page: Orange Blossom Waffle Recipe
Go To The Article Index Above