Citrus foam: one of the three shots that comprise the Deconstructed Margarita. Photography courtesy Sauza Tequila.
A New Way To Drink One Of America’s Favorite Cocktails
Deconstruction means taking something apart, generally to analyze it. In the case of deconstructed food, creative chefs and mixologists deconstruct a familiar recipe to present the ingredients in a new and exciting way. For example, we recently deconstructed the Caesar Salad as a bowl of Parmigiano-Reggiano soup topped with braised romaine and a jumbo crouton spread with anchovy paste. There are as many ways to deconstruct a dish as there are people eager to take on the task. Also take a look at:
Deconstructed Margarita Drink
The experts at Hornitos Tequila have had some fun deconstructing the Margarita—and you can, too!
Start by putting the shot glasses and the tequila in the freezer. You’ll also need a whipped cream maker to create the foam.
Ingredients & Equipment
For The Citrus/Agave Foam
- 2 parts reposado tequila
- 2 parts orange juice
- 2 parts triple sec
- 2 parts fresh lime juice
- 2 parts agave nectar
- 5 parts pasteurized egg whites
*Pale yellow in color, reposado tequila is aged for at least six months but less than a year.
- Make the citrus/agave foam: In a large mixing bowl or container, mix ingredients well. Transfer half to an iSi canister or similar whipper. (Canisters should be filled halfway so the foam will be produced properly. If you have a large whipper, you may be able to include all of the mixture.)
- Seal the top on and charge with two No. 2 cartridges.
- Shake well as you charge each cartridge; store in refrigerator as you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- Assemble the drink: Mix equal parts of agave nectar and lime juice. Chill.
- Dip tops of lime slices in agave nectar and sprinkle with salt. This is instead of rimming the glasses with salt; so the sugar is optional.
- In a very frozen shot glass, pour in a very well-chilled shot of tequila (from the freezer or an ice bucket).
- Shake the agave/lime juice mix and pour into a second frozen shot glass.
- Fill another shot glass or a ramekin with citrus/agave nectar foam from the canister.
- Place the three glasses on a small plate and garnish the plate with 2 lime slices (you can also notch them and place them on the first two shot glasses).
- To consume: Sip the tequila, savor the lime/agave mixture and scoop the foam with a small spoon (such as an espresso spoon).
Recipe© copyright Sauza Tequila Import Company. All rights reserved. Other material © Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their individual owners.