Fit for a king: King crab in Mornay sauce tops this elegant mac and cheese.
Gourmet Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Recipe III: King Crab Mac & Cheese Casserole
King Crab Mac & Cheese Casserole Recipe
San Francisco Area Regional Winner of the Tillamook Macaroni & Cheese Recipe Contest with this sumptuous recipe: king crab mac & cheese in a Mornay sauce (adding cheese to a Béchamel, a classic white sauce, creates a Mornay, or cheese sauce).
- 1 pound cooked king crab (5 large legs)
- 1 pound large elbow macaroni
- 1-1/2 cups medium Cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups Colby Jack cheese
- 3 ounces Parmesan cheese, shredded
8 tablespoons butter (1 stick) plus extra to grease baking dish
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 slice stale white bread, grated
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Snipped chives for garnish
- Chop, shred and measure all ingredients so they are ready to mix.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bringing a large pot of salted water to boil for macaroni (about 8 minutes). During this time, start making the Béchamel (white sauce). In a medium saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter, then add 4 tablespoons of flour and stir. Add 2 cups of half and half in increments, stirring continuously. Add 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg, 1/2 cup of Cheddar and Colby Jack cheeses and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Keep mixing until blended, turn off heat, cover saucepan and let stand.
- Combine the remaining 3 cheeses, then divide into 3 even amounts.
- Drain the elbow macaroni and put it back into the pot. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and the [now] Mornay sauce; mix thoroughly.
- Grease a casserole dish. Begin with a layer of 1/3 of the pasta mix, then a layer of 1/3 of the cheese, then another layer of pasta mix, another layer of cheese, and the remaining pasta mix. Spread the rest of the cheese on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- In a sauté pan on medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter, then add the chopped garlic and onion; sauté, do not brown. Add the shredded crab for 2 minutes, then add the 3 tablespoons of breadcrumbs and mix thoroughly.
- Remove dish from oven and place crab and ingredients onto pasta. Top dish with remaining cheese and, finally, top with the grated white bread crumbs.
- Put dish under broiler until golden brown. Let stand before serving. Garnish with snipped chives. Serves 8.
NEXT RECIPE: Mi Casa Chicken Pasta
WHEN YOU THINK “MAC & CHEESE,” THINK BEYOND ELBOW MACARONI.
In fact, many award-winning recipes use other shapes.
See the different pasta shapes in our
Recipe Tillamook. Other material © copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.