Dramatic plates provide visual appeal when serving bland-colored foods like mac and cheese.
Gourmet Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Recipe V: Pacific Northwest Macaroni & Cheese
Pacific Northwest Macaroni & Cheese Casserole Recipe
Elizabeth Bennett was the 2007 Seattle Area Regional Winner of the Tillamook Macaroni & Cheese Recipe Contest. She calls her winning dish “Pacific Northwest Macaroni & Cheese,” but with the smoked salmon, cream cheese, bagel chips and dill ingredients, New Yorkers may adapt it as their own.
- 8 ounces large elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 ounces
Vintage White Extra Sharp Cheddar
- 4 ounces Smoked Cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 2 ounces smoked salmon, flaked
- 1/2 cup crushed garlic bagel chips
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large saucepan, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add flour, stir to combine and cook for 3 minutes.
- Slowly add milk and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture is thick and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, dill, salt and white pepper. Add cheeses and stir until smooth.
- Gently fold in pasta and smoked salmon to macaroni mixture. Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray, and transfer pasta mixture into it. Sprinkle crushed bagel chips and parsley over casserole. Bake 20-25 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Serves 8+.
NEXT RECIPE: Shrimp Embrochette
WHEN YOU THINK “MAC & CHEESE,” THINK BEYOND ELBOW MACARONI.
In fact, most award-winning recipes use other shapes.
See the different pasta shapes in our
Recipe copyright Tillamook. Other material © copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.