Butternut squash soup with an assortment of Gourmet Wafer Crisps. All photography by Melody Lan.
KAREN HOCHMAN is Editorial Director of THE NIBBLE.
Updated February 2010
The Kitchen Table Bakers Gourmet Wafer Crisps
Gourmet Crisps For A Healthy Diet
CAPSULE REPORT: If you like cheese, you'll love discovering these tasty, low-calorie, low-carb crisps. They’re basically cheese, cheese, cheese, with a choice of regular parmesan plus a variety of different seasonings. Now instead of cheese and crackers, you have cheese in crackers.
Gourmet Wafer Crisps from The Kitchen Table Bakers are a fine contribution to snackdom, crackerdom and gourmet food accentdom. Delicate, lacy baked cheese thins, they are made in eight distinctive and tempting flavors: the original Aged Parmesan and Aged Parmesan mini crisps plus Everything, Flaxseed, Garlic, Italian Herb, Jalapeño, Rosemary and Sesame. A box of any one would impress, as these wafers have nay talents. Use them as:
- A snacking cracker
- A crisp for dipping
- A garnish or crouton for soups and salads
- A crumble to top potatoes, vegetables and other dishes
- A munch with wine and cocktails
- A base for canapés
In the canapé category, the toppings are only limited by one’s imagination.
- Thin-sliced prosciutto or Serrano ham makes a nifty “ham and cheese” hors d’oeuvre
- Salmon caviar with crème fraîche on the Rosemary Crisp is very elegant
- So is a thin-sliced cucumber with dilled creme fraîche on the Italian Herb Crisp
The website has a variety of tasty recipes including:
- Spiced Red Lentil Dip to pair with the Sesame Crisp
- Truffle-Scented Risotto to top the Aged Parmesan Crisp
- Seven-Layer Taco Dip to serve with the Jalapeño Crisp
- Roasted Tomato Soup to serve with the Rosemary Crisp
While you have to pay for them, the crisps are otherwise free:
- Trans fat-free
- Free of artificial ingredients
The all-natural, handmade wafers are essentially cheese and seasonings. That makes them high in calcium. Because aged parmesan is used, the lactose level is lower than with younger cheeses. And, cheese is a low-carb food.
Italian Herb Crisps.
Three crisps, which are about 2-1/2" in diameter, have 80 calories and 50 calories from fat. The portion contains 6g total fat, 15mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate, 0g sugar and 6g protein.
THE KITCHEN TABLE BAKERS
Gourmet Wafer Crisps in Aged Parmesan, Aged Parmesan Mini Crisps, Everything, Flaxseed, Garlic, Italian Herb, Jalapeño, Rosemary and Sesame
- 3-Ounce package
- Prices and flavor availability are verified at publication but are subject to change.
Purchase online at
Or telephone 1.800.486.4582
Also available at fine retailers.
The entire selection is available online if you can’t find your flavors of choice at your local retailer.
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are copyright of their respective owners.