Just add an egg and water and heat the frying pan...and you have delicious pancakes in minutes. If you prefer, heat up the waffle iron. Photo courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.
Daddy Cakes Pancake & Waffle Mix
Page 2: Flavors & Where To Buy Online
This is Page 2 of a two-page article. Click on the black links below to visit Page 2.
Pancake & Waffle Flavors
The basic Daddy Cakes recipe is all natural and includes organic unbleached white flour (some use enriched flour), sugar, oats, buttermilk powder, barley malt powder, vanilla powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Different variations include spices, cocoa, etc. Compare these fine ingredients to what’s in a basic supermarket pancake mix like Aunt Jemima: enriched bleached flour, sugar, leavening (sodium bicarbonate, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate), salt, calcium carbonate. The flavor of oats, buttermilk, barley malt and vanilla in Daddy Cakes make every bite more complex.
- Blueberry Bonanza Blast. Blueberry pancakes have a great conceptual appeal. Here, dried blueberry bits add a sweetness to the pancakes, but it’s more of a kid flavor than a substitute for blueberry pancakes made with fresh or frozen whole blueberries. So move over, Blueberry Bonanza Blast—we’ve got other cakes to fry.
- Bountiful Buckwheat Buttermilk. The basic buckwheat pancake/waffle has its appeal, and we prefer it to Vivacious Vanilla. It’s made with three organic flours—unbleached white, wheat and buckwheat, which add to the complexity of the flavor.
- Criminal Chocolate Chip. Chocolate chip pancakes may have the most sales appeal, but they’re so easy to make by adding chocolate chips to any other recipe. We found that the excitement in the Daddy Cakes line lay elsewhere. We won’t stop you from buying these, but the crime would be not to explore other flavors.
- Glamorous Gingerbread. Ah, how wonderful it is to have gingerbread spices cooking on the stove year-round. A definite favorite, this pancake/waffle flavor shows that there can never be too many ways to enjoy gingerbread. Make it into waffles as a base for caramel or hot fudge sundaes; sprinkle with some pulverized crystallized ginger.
- Sensuous Strawberry. You’ll find dried berries in the mix, but they don’t substitute for the real thing. It’s easy to understand why kids like the sweet strawberry flavor and pinkish hue of this variety, but we’d save it for the kids. When fresh strawberries aren’t at hand, we’d rather put dried strawberries on top of the Buckwheat or Whole Wheat flavors. (And by the way, dads, do your young children know what “sensuous” means?)
Daddy Cakes mixes are available in bags or
in gift tins (photo below).
- Sinful Cinnamon. We’re dead set against anyone who calls food sinful, decadent or any other negative word. What’s up, guys—there is no sin in cinnamon! We’re only carping because this flavor is happy, joyous and one of our favorites. We hate to think of so many areas in the country where the folks won’t buy into sin—at least, not in public. If you’re willing, make this into waffles, topped with chocolate, coffee, cinnamon or vanilla ice cream and stir some cinnamon into a good caramel sauce. Cin-sational!
- Vivacious Vanilla. Your basic pancake mix perked up with vanilla and sugar. A good start, but there is so much more that’s interesting here. You can, however, add peanut butter for some rockin’ PB Pancakes, and add slices of banana. Ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce? Be still, our beating heart.
- Whole Wheat. They’re made with organic whole red spring wheat, but don’t expect a healthy farmhouse taste. With the sugar, vanilla and a nice hand of cinnamon, these pancakes have a charming sweetness, and would make a good base for a waffle dessert.
While we might rename some of the varieties, for a special occasion or any weekday morning, you can create a gourmet-tasting, crowd-pleasing, yet easy breakfast in no time with Daddy Cakes.
DADDY CAKES PANCAKE AND WAFFLE MIX
Better Batter Buttermilk, Blueberry Bonanza Blast, Criminal Chocolate Chip, Sensational Strawberry, Sinful Cinnamon; Other Flavors Available Seasonally
- 1-1/2-Pound Tin
Tins hold three 8-ounce bags and a surprise toy or sticker for the little ones—or big ones—to play with while waiting for their pancake breakfasts.
- 16-Ounce Pack
Purchase online* at
*Prices and product availability are verified at publication but are subject to change. Shipping is additional. These items are offered by a third party and THE NIBBLE has no relationship with them. Purchase information is provided as a reader convenience.
Gourmet comfort food for yourself and for gifts.
© Copyright 2005-2014 Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are copyright of their respective owners.