Instead of maple syrup, try coffee syrup, ;like this artisan syrup from Java & Co.
, a Top Pick Of The Week. Photo © Paylessimages | Fotolia.
STEPHANIE ZONIS focuses on good foods and the people who produce them.
Whole Grain & Multigrain Pancake Reviews
Page 6p: Uncle Tom’s Newport School Candies Pancake Mix, War Eagle Mill, and Weisenberger Flour Mill Whole Wheat Pancake Mix
You are reading part of a review of 99 different whole grain and multigrain pancake mixes from 44 different manufacturers. You can return to the index of all the pancake mix brands, go to Page 1 of the complete pancake article or continue to the next page of reviews.
Pancake Mix Reviews:
Uncle Tom’s Newport School Candies Pancake Mixes
Both mixes come in resealable plastic bags in labeled, fancier paper bags. This company also has a truly interesting history. UncleTomsCandies.com.
- Buckwheat Pancake Mix. Grain mix: wheat flour, corn flour, corn meal, buckwheat flour, rye flour, rice flour, corn meal (listed twice). A JAW (just add water) mix. The instructions call for one cup of mix to one cup of cold water and note “Batter will be very thin.” When prepared according to package directions, the batter was unworkably thin. I tried making very small pancakes, but the batter was so thin it ran all over the preheated griddle. I covered the batter and chilled it overnight to see if it would thicken. The next day, the batter had separated (not an issue), but when I stirred it to blend it was still so thin that I gave up and added more mix. There was not much rise, but good browning. The finished pancakes had some texture from grains and a rather earthy flavor. They’re not bad, but not worth the aggravation.
- Whole Wheat Pancake Mix. Grain mix: whole wheat flour, corn flour, corn meal, rye flour, rice flour. Because I had made the Buckwheat Mix first and that batter was far too thin, I only used enough water here to make a workable batter (less than 1/2 cup to one cup of mix, despite the same recommended amount of water for this mix). There was an astonishing rise and good browning. The finished pancakes were too fluffy for me and slightly dry inside. They had a slightly sweet flavor but lacked a strong grain presence.
War Eagle Mill
Mixes from this company came in plastic bags within pretty cloth bags. WarEagleMill.com
- Blue Corn Pancake Mix. Grain mix: organic blue cornmeal, organic unbleached all purpose flour. When prepared according to package directions, the batter was so thin that I had to add more mix. The batter and pancakes are an intense, dark, purple-blue-gray color. There was good rise, but browning not very noticeable as the batter and pancakes are so dark in color. The finished pancakes have a great cornmeal texture without being at all gummy and a truly “corny” flavor. They were thoroughly enjoyable, especially with syrup. Curiosity: This was the only mix I encountered which specified flipping the pancakes twice. I did this, but I had no idea why it was necessary.
- Buckwheat Pancake & Waffle Mix. Grain mix: organic sifted buckwheat flour, organic all purpose unbleached unenriched flour. I did not use the optional sorghum in the batter. When prepared according to package directions, even using the least amount of water in a given range, the batter was so thin that I had to add more mix. There was less rise than most and almost no browning. The finished pancakes weren’t an especially appealing color. They had a rather unpleasant flavor with a bitter aftertaste.
- Pecan Cinnamon Whole Grain Pancake Mix. Grain: organic whole white wheat flour. You can see pecan bits in this mix. When prepared according to package directions, the batter consistency was just fine. A range of water was specified, and the amount required was well within that range. There was a very good rise but almost no browning. The finished pancakes were fluffy, with a little texture from the pecans. Although cinnamon is listed as an ingredient, it was undetectable.
Weisenberger Flour Mill Whole Wheat Pancake Mix
Grain: wheat flour. This is a JAW (just add water) mix. Curiosity: The mix contains turmeric. It also has a very high sodium level (1,935 mg of sodium per cup). When prepared according to package directions, the batter is of a good consistency. The pancakes have very good rise. The finished pancakes have some degree of “chew” from the bits of wheat in the mix, but this is pleasant. The pancakes have good flavor, especially with syrup; you don’t taste the sodium at all. Weisenberger.com
Continue To The Next Page: The Well Dressed Food Company North Country Oatmeal Pancake Mix, and Whole Grain Milling Company
Lifestyle Direct Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.