Salmon caviar from Red-Caviar.com.
An Hors D’Oeuvre For All Seasons
For Valentine’s Day or any day, there’s no tastier, more glamorous, or easier hors d’oeuvre or first course than red caviar hearts. Here’s all you need to do:
Decide on one kind of red caviar: salmon, tobiko, beet-colored whitefish roe, lumpfish or capelin.
- Good white bread or brioche
- Caviar(s)—see note below
- Sour cream, crème fraîche, or cream cheese (buy a natural or organic brand if possible)
- Chives for decor
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter
NOTE: We like to cover the entire surface of the heart with caviar; others use it more sparingly and add a dab to the center of the heart. Truly patient types will simply edge the heart with caviar beads, leaving the center area white with sour cream. Or, you can create an artistic mixture of all three styles.
- Make toast, let it cool, then cut the heart shapes.
- Spread thinly with sour cream or crème fraîche; otherwise the cream will mix with the caviar when you add the caviar layer, especially if using smaller roe.
- Top with the caviar(s).
- Drape a chive across each heart as the “arrow.”
Serve with a rosé Champagne—the perfect accompaniment.
Enjoy your celebration!
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their individual owners.