Add a tropical spin to scallops with papaya (above), persimmon or mango.
Recipe: Grilled Scallops & Persimmon With Dill-Infused Avocado Oil
Grilled sea scallops, papaya and persimmon are finished with a tropical-flavored avocado oil accented with dill, coriander and lime.
Yields 4 servings.
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, coarsely
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pound large sea scallops (about 12)
- 1 large papaya, peeled, seeded and
cut into eight 2x1-inch pieces
- 1 Fuyu* persimmon, cut into 8
wedges or 1 large ripe mango,
peeled and cut into eight
Rich avocado oil finds an elegant partner in clean, minty dill.
*There are two types of persimmon: astringent and non-astringent. Astringent tomatoes such as the Hachiya variety are heart-shaped or acorn-shaped, and are unpalatable if eaten before softening. The non-astringent persimmon, such as the Fuyu variety, is squat like a tomato, and may be consumed when still very firm. It therefore holds up in recipes that require it to keep its shape.
Photo: A Fuyu persimmon, looking very much like a tomato. Photo courtesy Wikipedia Commons.
- Heat oil in small saucepan on medium-low heat. Add dill weed; cook and stir 1 minute or until fragrant. Cool slightly.
- Stir in lime juice, agave nectar, coriander seed, sea salt, pepper and ginger until well mixed. Reserve 3 tablespoons oil mixture for serving with the skewers.
- Drizzle remaining oil mixture over scallops and fruit in large bowl. Toss gently to coat well. Cover. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Alternately thread 3 scallops and 2 each papaya and persimmon pieces onto each double skewer.*
- Grill over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until scallops are opaque and fruit is lightly browned, turning once. Drizzle skewers with reserved oil mixture to serve.
*Test Kitchen Tip: If using wooden skewers, soak in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent burning.
Recipe © 2008 McCormick. All rights reserved. Other material
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Photos are copyright of their respective owners.