Tahini sauce is condiment of choice for most falafel fans, but yogurt sauce and garlic sauce are popular options. Recipes are below. Photo by Fotografia Basica | IST.
Tahini Sauce Recipe
With Tahini Sauce, Garlic Sauce & Pickled Turnip Recipes & A Gluten Free Alternative
This is Page 4 of a four-page article on falafel and its accompaniments. Click on the black links to visit other pages.
Pickled Turnips Recipe
You can make these turnips in advance, or an hour or more before serving.
- 6 medium fresh turnips
- 3 small beets
- 2-½ teaspoons kosher salt or coarse sea salt
- One medium onion, sliced
- 3 inner celery stalks (not the tough outer ones), sliced in 1/4-inch pieces
- Optional: jalapeño or similar chile, minced (for a moderate amount of heat,
remove the seeds and the white ribs)
- 1 cup warm water (or more as needed)
- 1-1/2 cups vinegar (or more as needed)
- Peel the turnips and beet and slice into 1/4-inch thickness. Place in a large bowl, toss with salt and let sit for 12 hours or overnight.
- Add the turnips, beets and their juices into a quart jar with a tight seal. Add the sliced onion, celery and jalapeño.
- Add the warm water and vinegar to top the vegetables. Leave on the counter to pickle. If not used that day, refrigerate. They’ll continue to pickle for a couple of weeks—if you can resist them for that long.
Tahini Sauce Recipe
Recipe serves four. You can substitute yogurt sauce (follow the tahini sauce recipe below, but substitute 8 ounces of plain yogurt) or your favorite garlic sauce recipe.
- 1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (two lemons)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh flat Italian parsley (or more to taste)
- Optional: 1 teaspoon minced chives (or more to taste)
- Stir tahini in the can to incorporate the oil that separates from the paste. Whisk together tahini, lemon juice, garlic and salt. Paste will become thick.
- Slowly add water to desired thickness.
- Add parsley and chives. Blend well and serve. Store unused tahini sauce in the fridge.
Serve with falafel, kabobs or grilled meats. Use more water to thin the tahini sauce for use as a salad dressing.
Garlic Sauce Recipe
Garlic sauce is a bread spread and a favorite sandwich condiment in the Middle East. It is also served grilled with chicken, fish, beef and potatoes.
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup canola oil or substitute
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cold egg whites
- Place the minced garlic in a food processor. Begin processor and slowly add oil and lemon juice, alternating them until gone. Scrape down sides intermittently.
- While the processor is blending, add the cold egg whites until you reach mayonnaise consistency.
- Refrigerate in a tightly-closed container for up to 1 week.
Recipes © 2011 DedeMed.com. All rights reserved. Photos are the copyright of their respective owners. All other material
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Photos are copyright of their respective owners.