A crisp roast turkey, garnished with fresh figs, fresh sage and Champagne grapes. Photo courtesy Sable & Rosenfeld.
Oven Roast Turkey
Moist Inside, Crisp Skin
CAPSULE REPORT: Parchment paper helps to keep a turkey moist while still creating a crisp skin. Here’s a recipe from specialty food producer Sable & Rosenfeld.
- 1 turkey, 18 to 22 pounds
- 4 large lemons cut into halves
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon each thyme, sage, and rosemary (or your favorite herbs)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup sweet butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Russian mustard (sweet hot mustard) (optional)
- Parchment paper
- 1 jar Sable & Rosenfeld Tipsy Cranberry & Port sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Clean, wash and dry turkey thoroughly inside and out.
- Rub the turkey with 2 of the lemons. Place the remaining cut lemon halves, garlic, and herb mixture into the cavity of the turkey.
- In a medium bowl mix together 1 cup of softened butter, 1/2 cup of Russian mustard, 1 tablespoon of salt and 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper or to taste; set aside.
- Wet enough parchment paper to cover the exposed part of the turkey. The paper should be large enough to tuck under the back of the bird. Wring the paper out and lay on a flat surface.
- Spread the butter mixture in an even layer all over the paper. Place butter side down on top and around the turkey tucking in well.
- Roast breast down for half the cooking time; flip the turkey over and continue roasting. (It is easy to flip when wrapped in the paper and yet it will also crisp up nicely even though it is wrapped in the parchment paper.)
- Roast turkey for 20 minutes per pound or until the thermometer reads 165° when inserted into the thigh (do not touch the bone with the thermometer). Remember, the turkey will continue to cook as it rests on the counter before carving (20 minutes).
Myra Sable serves the turkey with a cranberry sauce laden with fresh citrus. She gives it an extra by from soaking the whole cranberries in aged Port.
Recipe © 2010 Sable & Rosenfeld . All rights reserved. All other material
Related Food Videos:
For more food videos, check out The Nibble's Food Video Collection.
© Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the property of their respective owners.