A rich and creamy bowl of pumpkin soup. Photo by Robyn Mac | IST.
Easy Recipe For Pumpkin Soup
With Truffled Cocoa Croutons
This recipe comes from Woodhouse Chocolate, a NIBBLE Top Pick Of The Week. Proprietors John and Tracy Anderson add their own chocolate touch via cocoa croutons.
If you don’t want croutons, toast some pumpkin seeds with a the truffled cocoa powder mix on the next page (or, the pumpkin seeds are delicious on their own).
This recipe is easy because it uses canned pumpkin, along with canned chicken broth and cream. The recipe is on the rich side, so a small bowl will suffice. You can use half-and-half instead of cream to make it less rich.
Here’s another pumpkin soup recipe that uses the pumpkin flesh fresh from the pumpkin. It’s a great way to use the flesh from your scooped-out Jack-O-Lantern.
Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup canned puréed pumpkin
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup cream or half-and-half
- Garnish: truffled cocoa croutons (recipe on next page), toasted pumpkin seeds
or fresh herbs
- Heat a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter; if it browns, so much the better.
- Add the shallots and the salt, then sauté, stirring occasionally until shallots are soft and starting to brown. Add the garlic, the pumpkin and the chicken broth. Whisk to combine.
- If you have an immersion blender, blend the soup in the pot to desired consistency; otherwise use a food processor or blender and then return the soup to the pot.
- Add the cream. Heat to a simmer and adjust the salt (if you have used commercial chicken broth, you probably will not need more salt; homemade stock may require some).
- Garnish and serve.
Continue To The Crouton Recipe
An immersion blender lets you blend in the pot, without having to transfer to a food processor of blender. This one, from Cuisinart, is available at Amazon.com.
Recipe © Woodhouse Chocolate. All rights reserved. Other material
Related Food Videos:
For more food videos, check out The Nibble's Food Video Collection.
© Copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved.