Set a piece of grilled fish atop caramelized onions. Or, use the onions as a topping for the fish, instead of the herb butter and sliced green onions that top this piece of swordfish. Photo by James Camp Photography | IST.
JOHNNY GNALL is a chef and food writer in San Francisco.
Recipes Using Caramelized Onions
25+ Ways To Enjoy Your Caramelized Onions
This is Page 3 of a three-page article on caramelized onions. Click on the black links below to visit other pages.
Caramelized Onions: Serving Suggestions
Make lots of caramelized onions, for you’ll find dozens of uses for them every week.
Omelets & Eggs
- As a filling, topping or side.
- In a quiche.
- On a thick-cut baguette with goat cheese (delicious as a starter or a sandwich).
- On a burger or cheeseburger.
- On focaccia.
- On or with brats, franks and sausages.
- On a cooked meat sandwich: chicken, ham, meatballs, meatloaf, turkey, etc.
- On a grilled veggie sandwich.
- On a grilled cheese sandwich.
Pasta & Pizza
- As a pizza topping (try it with goat cheese and broccoli).
- As a pasta topping, with olive oil or a red sauce plus grated cheese.
Caramelized onions on a cheeseburger. Delicious! (The brioche roll makes it extra-special.) Photo © M. Sheldrake | Dreamstime.
Salads & Vegetable Dishes
- With a spinach salad, in addition to or instead of raw onions.
- Atop or mixed into mashed potatoes (combine with idea #2 for “bangers and mash”).
- Stuffed into a baked potato.
- With roasted potatoes.
- Mixed with spinach, broccoli and other veggies (the onions will sweeten the deal for those who are indifferent to vegetables).
- With roasted root vegetables.
- As a warm side with halved cherry tomatoes and fresh herbs.
- As a side with roast chicken or turkey.
- Slathered on top of a steak (crumbled blue cheese optional).
- With chops: lamb, pork, veal.
- Atop or underneath salmon or other blackened, grilled, roasted or poached fish fillet.
- On toast (baguette or rustic loaf): plain or with Brie or a small piece of ham, roast beef or turkey.
- On a mini grilled cheese triangle.
Go To The Article Index Above