This elegant dish will please vegetarians and staunch gourmets.
Recipe: Goat Cheese Beet “Ravioli” With Tarragon-Orange Sauce
This mock “ravioli” features a pistachio and tarragon-flecked goat cheese filling layered between roasted beet slices that are crimped to look like ravioli. A lightly sweetened tarragon orange sauce and more pistachios finish the dish.
Serve it as a vegetarian main course, or serve one piece as a first course.
Yields 6 servings (main course).
- 2 pounds beets
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 cup orange juice, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons tarragon leaves,
- 6 ounces fresh goat cheese (chèvre)
- 1/2 cup chopped shelled pistachios,
Tarragon and beetroot together create a rich sensory feast.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Remove greens and bottom roots from beets. Wrap beets in foil. Bake in oven 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender when pierced with small knife. Cool until able to handle. Peel beets.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in small saucepan on low heat. Add flour, whisking until well blended. Stir in 1/2 cup of the orange juice until smooth. Whisking constantly, bring to boil on medium heat. Remove from heat. Pour into small bowl. Whisk in remaining 1/2 cup orange juice. Stir in sugar, lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon of the tarragon. Stir occasionally until sauce is completely cooled.
- Mix goat cheese, 1/4 cup of the pistachios and remaining 1 teaspoon tarragon in small bowl until well blended.
- Cut beets into thin slices (no more than 1/8-inch thick). Using cookie cutters, cut beet slices into decorative shapes, if desired. Spoon 1/2 to 1 teaspoon filling onto half of the beet slices. Cover each with a second beet slice to create “raviolis.” To serve, spoon about 3 tablespoons Tarragon-Orange Sauce onto each serving plate. Arrange 3 to 4 “raviolis” in the sauce. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup pistachios.
Recipe © 2008 McCormick. All rights reserved. Other material