|Old-fashioned goodness: Laura’s Handcrafted Graham Crackers. Photography by Hannah Kaminsky | THE NIBBLE.
Page 3: Laura’s Handcrafted Graham Crackers & S’mores Kit
Laura’s Candy: Handcrafted Graham
Crackers & S’Mores Kit
In St. Peter, Minnesota, the gifted artisan Laura Dhuyvetter makes superb marshmallows—and with them, excellent graham crackers with which to make truly fine s’mores.
While we don’t like to say unkind things about the competition (as it were), we recently sampled famous name supermarket brand grahams, marshmallows and chocolate, with the idea of doing a “summer fun” article—supermarket goods for the kids and the pricier but higher quality Laura’s S’more Kit for the discriminating adults.
Ladies and gentlemen, perhaps the dog wouldn’t notice how tasteless the supermarket goods are, but we just can’t advocate them. We’re sensitive to the recession, but we just won’t eat straw to save a few pennies. Compare the ingredients:
- Laura’s Graham Crackers: Whole wheat flour, graham flour, butter, sugar, honey, molasses, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt.
You can buy plain grahams and S’mores kits year-round. For Easter and Christmas, Laura pulls out all the stops with stamped bunny and Santa grahams.
- Supermarket Brand Grahams: Enriched flour, wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate (Vitamin B1), riboflavin (Vitamin B2), folic acid, sugar, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, cottonseed oil, graham flour, high fructose corn syrup, honey, leavening (baking soda, calcium phosphate), salt, artificial flavor, malted barley flour.
Unlike the harder Tiny Trapeze cookies, Laura’s grahams have a familiar, tender texture (slightly more solid than supermarket grahams). The comparison ends there: They have a complex whole wheat and graham flour flavor, layered with honey and molasses, vanilla, cinnamon and other, more subtle spices.
With their 2-3/4-inch square shape, they adapt better to s’mores than the round Tiny Trapeze version (if not as prettily). Laura goes one better with superb s’mores kits: her own handmade marshmallows and Valrhona chocolate. Ex-cel-lent! The kit is also available with a Hershey chocolate bar for $3 less, but when you’re buying handcrafted marshmallows and grahams, why use mass-produced chocolate?
- Laura offers the s’mores kits with many different flavors of handmade marshmallow. Start with vanilla for the s’mores, and order whatever tickles your fancy to enjoy as a marshmallow confection.
- For Easter and Christmas, you can have the grahams stamped with a bunny or Santa. They couldn’t be cuter—even if you’re a jaded, grown-up food writer.
More About S’Mores
We’re huge s’mores fans, and have more to share:
By the way, Reverend Graham’s theories to the contrary, graham flour has no impact whatsoever on suppressing lust. In fact, it makes you lust for s’more.
Graham Crackers, S’Mores Kits
- Gift Box of 8 Cookies (4 Boards)
- S’Mores Kit With Valrhona Chocolate
- Graham Cracker Crumbs
For 9" Pie Crust
Purchase* at LCandy.com
*Prices and product availability are verified at publication but are subject to change. These items are offered by a third party and THE NIBBLE has no relationship with them. Purchase information is provided as a reader convenience.
Continue To Page 4: Starr Ridge Graham
Go To The Article Index Above
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, special offers,
contests, opinion surveys, THE NIBBLE
prior issues archive, product gift-finder and more,
visit the home page of TheNibble.com.
|Do you have friends who would enjoy THE NIBBLE?
Click here to send them an invitation to sign up for their own copy.
© Copyright 2004-2006 Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights
reserved. All information contained herein is subject to change at any time
without notice. All details must be directly confirmed with manufacturers, service
establishments and other third parties. The material in this newsletter may not
be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached, or otherwise used, except with
the prior written permission of Lifestyle Direct, Inc.