Dark chocolate cupcake topped with chocolate buttercream and chocolate curls. Photo courtesy Yummy Cupcakes
Last Updated October 2016
Recipe: Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
With Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
This is Page 1 of a two-page article. Click on the black links below to visit other pages.
Some people like their cupcakes light and airy, some people prefer them dense. For us, it depends: With a very rich icing and filling, airy can be better. Try it and see which you prefer.
Also try different frostings. Here we have recipes for chocolate buttercream frosting and cream cheese frosting. But you can try coffee cream cheese frosting, peppermint buttercream or anything that suits you.
In terms of garnishing your cupcake: Check out our easy cupcake decorating ideas.
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
Ingredients For 12 Cupcakes
- 8 tablespoons (1 bar) unsalted butter, cut into 2-tablespoon chunks
- 2 ounces premium bittersweet chocolate (70% cacao or higher), chopped
- 1/2 cup premium Dutch-process cocoa
(see the difference between natural and dutched cocoa)
- 1/2 cup regular sour cream
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan (standard size) with cupcake liners.
- Combine butter, chocolate, and cocoa in a double boiler over simmering water. As butter and chocolate melt, whisk until smooth. Set aside to cool; then blend in sour cream.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs until blended. Add sugar, vanilla and salt and beat until fully incorporated.
- Add chocolate mixture and blend thoroughly. Add half of flour mixture bit-by-bit over the chocolate mixture and blend thoroughly; then add remaining flour mixture and blend.
- Ladle batter into cupcake liner. Bake until skewer inserted into center of cupcakes comes out clean.
6-Cool cupcakes in muffin pan on wire rack until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. Carefully lift each cupcake from muffin pan and set on wire rack. Cool to room temperature before icing, about 30 minutes. (To frost: Mound about 2 tablespoons icing on center of each cupcake. Using icing spatula or butter knife, spread icing to edge of cupcake, leaving slight mound in center.)
Continue To Page 2: Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Go To The Article Index Above
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their individual owners.