Spruce up your Caesar Salad by serving it in a baked GranQueso cheese crisp ring.
Summer Cheese Recipes
Exciting Recipes With Cheese
Page 1: Caesar Salad In A GranQueso Cheese Ring
CAPSULE REPORT: Cheese is a delicious and very versatile food. Its many varieties can be used as a snack, a recipe ingredient, even a dessert. Every cheese complements a specific range of other foods as well. Here, we present six recipes, developed by master chefs across the country and presented by the master American cheesemakers of Roth Käse, of Wisconsin. The recipes incorporate seasonal ingredients and flourishes, but most can be enjoyed year-round. This is Page 1 of a six-page article. Click the links below to navigate among the pages. Learn more about cheese by skimming through our Cheese Glossary.
Caesar Salad In A GranQueso Cheese Ring
This glamorous spin on the Caesar Salad was developed by Chef/Owner Jose Gutierrez of Encore restaurant in Memphis. It’s a stunner that marries an appetizer with a salad course.
Roth Käse’s master cheesemakers made GranQueso (“big cheese”) in a Spanish style similar to Manchego, which is made in the La Mancha region of Spain (although Manchego is made from sheep’s milk, and GranQueso is made from the milk of those fine Wisconsin cows). GranQueso has gone on to win a First Place award at the 2004 American Cheese Society competition and a Gold Medal at the 2005 World Cheese Awards in London. Manchego can be substituted in the recipe. You can serve pieces of either as cocktail tapas, with Serrano ham and a glass of Spanish wine.
GranQueso Cheese Rings
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 egg whites (reserve yolks for Caesar
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups GranQueso cheese, grated
GranQueso cheese is available at iGourmet.com.
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons red peppers, puréed
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon anchovies, chopped (or anchovy paste)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups olive oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 to 2 heads romaine lettuce, split into quarters lengthwise, then cut in half
(1 head equals 8 sections)
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1 cup GranQueso cheese, shaved
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour and sugar. Stir in egg whites, garlic and butter, and mix to incorporate ingredients.
- Spray a large baking pan with non-stick cooking spray; spread the batter evenly on the baking pan. Sprinkle GranQueso cheese over batter, and bake until set (approximately 6 to 10 minutes).
- Remove pan from oven, and immediately cut batter into 10 strips (each strip should be approximately 2 inches wide). Return strips to oven and bake for an additional 3 to 5 minutes until golden brown.
- While warm, remove each strip from the baking pan and place around 3-inch (in diameter) ramekin to create rings. Allow GranQueso to cool while preparing dressing and salad.
- In mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks, red peppers, garlic, anchovies, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Slowly whisk in olive oil, then water; set aside.
- To assemble salad, place cooled QranQueso rings in center of each plate. Place tomatoes around each ring, and drizzle with dressing.
- Toss romaine lettuce with remaining dressing, and place upright in the center of each ring. Top salad with chives and garnish with shaved GranQueso.
Next Recipe: Cashew Encrusted Butterkäse
Return To Recipe Index Above
Recipe © copyright Roth Käse USA. Additional material