This sweet and spicy absinthe concoction is the perfect way to kick off Cocktail Hour at your strawberry dinner party. Photos courtesy California Strawberry Commission.
Strawberry Dinner Party
Fun, Fruit, Food
When most people think of strawberries, they think of jams, ice cream and shortcake. But strawberry recipes span much more than confections; you can create an entire dinner from them. We’ve done just that with the help of The California Strawberry Commission. After you’ve taken a bite from the recipes below, you’ll find many more at Calstrawberry.com. This is Page 1 of a 5-page article. Click the black links below to navigate between the pages.
On the menu:
Sweet & Spicy Absinthe Cocktail
This sweet and spicy drink is just the thing to kick off your strawberry dinner party. It calls for a spicy Peppered Honey Gastrique, which must be made ahead of time. To vary the spiciness level of your cocktail, just use more or less of the jalapeño-infused gastrique.
Ingredients Per Cocktail
- 2 strawberries, sliced
- 5-8 cilantro leaves
- 1/2 ounce Peppered Honey Gastrique (see below)
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1/4 ounce Cointreau
- 1-1/2 ounces tequila
- Coarse kosher salt, for the rim of the glass
Peppered Honey Gastrique Instructions
- Combine equal parts honey and sherry vinegar in a pan and heat to combine.
- As gastrique begins to reduce, add sliced jalapeno (more jalapeno means more heat) in order to incorporate flavor and heat.
- When gastrique reaches a syrup-like consistency, remove from heat, allow to cool and strain to remove the jalapeno.
- Prepare the gastrique ahead of time.
- Muddle the strawberries, cilantro and gastrique in a mixing glass.
- Add the remaining ingredients and shake for 20 to 30 seconds, or until chilled.
- Strain through a second fine-meshed strainer into a cocktail glass that has half of its rim coated with salt.
Continue to Page 2: Spicy Syrah-Glazed Pork Chops
Return To The Recipe Index Above
Recipes courtesy California Strawberry Commission. Other materials © copyright 2005-
Lifestyle Direct Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.