For a new twist on strawberry shortcake, replace the shortcake with homemade coconut macaroons. Photos courtesy California Strawberry Commission.
Strawberry Dinner Party
Page 4: Strawberry Macaroon Napoleons
This is Page 4 of a 5-page article. Click the black links below to navigate between the pages.
On the menu:
Strawberry Macaroon Napoleons
This Strawberry Macaroon Napoleon is similar to the classic strawberry shortcake, but it replaces the shortcake with homemade coconut macaroons, for even more delicious, fruity flavor.
Yields 6 servings.
- 1-1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 ounce (1-1/2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 pints fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- Sugar, to taste
- 1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, or seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean, or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease 18 cupcake wells.
- Stir together the coconut and sugar in a medium bowl, using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Stir in the melted butter and then the egg, and mix until combined.
- Place 2 teaspoons of the coconut mixture into each of the cupcake wells. Using the back of a spoon dipped in water, press the coconut mixture into the well so it completely fills the bottom. Bake until golden brown, 12 minutes.
- Let the macaroons cool in the pans. Using a small sharp knife or small offset spatula, loosen them from the wells and remove them.
- For the Chantilly cream, whisk the cream, 2 tablespoons sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until soft peaks form.
- The cream should hold its shape but still be satiny in appearance. It should never be grainy.
- To serve, gently toss the strawberries with enough sugar to sweeten.
- Place a macaroon on each of 6 dessert plates. Cover each macaroon with some strawberries and some Chantilly cream.
- Repeat layering with another macaroon, more strawberries and cream. Top with the remaining macaroon. Serve immediately.
Continue to Page 5: Strawberry Mango Smoothie
Return To The Recipe Index Above
Recipes courtesy California Strawberry Commission. Other materials
Lifestyle Direct Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the copyright of their respective owners.