Wild Boar Ragù gives you delicious wild boar with a bit more subtlety. Photo courtesy MarxFoods.
Wild Boar Recipes
Page 2: Wild Boar Ragù With Pappardelle
This is Page 2 of a three-page article. Click the black links below to visit other pages.
Wild Boar Ragù With Pappardelle
This recipe was a winner in a wild boar recipe contest hosted by MarxFoods. It was created by Jason Weiner of New York’s Almond Restaurant.
- 1 pound boneless wild boar shoulder, finely diced
- 1 small Spanish onion, minced
- 1 small carrot, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 ounce extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup veal stock
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 fresh roma tomatoes, medium dice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 ounce heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 4 portions fresh pasta rolled thin and cut by hand 1-1/2 inches wide
(or 4 portions packaged fresh pappardelle pasta)
- Heat a medium saucepot on high heat. Season the wild boar generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- When the pot is quite hot, add the boar, oil and butter all at once. Allow the meat to brown thoroughly, then add the onion and carrot.
- Reduce heat and sweat vegetables until they are slightly caramelized, then add the garlic. When the garlic releases its aroma, add the chile flakes, tomatoes and tomato paste. Cook for another few minutes, and then add the veal stock.
- Cover and barely simmer for a half hour. At this point, the boar should be tender. If it’s not, continue to simmer.
- Drop the pasta in boiling salted water. While the pasta is cooking, add the cream and vinegar to the Ragù, and turn up the heat. When the pasta is ready, add it to the Ragù along with the parsley and cheese. Adjust seasoning and consistency. If the Ragù is a bit thick, splash a little of the pasta water into it.
Continue To Page 3: Wild Boar Burger With Citrus Slaw
Go To The Article Index Above
Recipes © 2008 MarxFoods. All rights reserved. Other material
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved.