Doc Popcorn may be just what the doctor ordered. Photography by Katharine Pollak | THE NIBBLE.
KAREN HOCHMAN is the founder of THE NIBBLE.
Doc Popcorn Pops For Those Who Appreciate Gourmet Popcorn
CAPSULE REPORT: Popcorn is not only a popular snack; it’s also whole grain and good for you. Doc Popcorn pops fresh corn at a growing number of locations, and it’s available via mail. The product that we ordered arrived fresh-tasting, despite a few days in transit. If you want to own a popcorn shop, franchises are available.
Gourmet Popcorn Overview
America is the world’s largest consumer of popcorn—not a surprise, since the snack originated with Native Americans. What is a surprise is, according to The Popcorn Board, Americans consume 17 billion quarts of popped popcorn each year—enough to fill the Empire State Building about 18 times. The average American eats about 52 quarts a year. That would mean that each and every one of us has a medium, movie-size bag every week. But approximately 70% is purchased at retail stores in both raw and popped forms, and consumed at home.
Statistics notwithstanding, popcorn is good for you.
- Popcorn is a whole grain that not only delivers fiber, which is is beneficial to the digestive system; it also contains polyphenols, which are powerful antioxidants.
- Gourmet popcorn is a better-for-you, natural snack snack.
How does “gourmet” popcorn differ from everyday supermarket and movie theatre popcorn?
- The corn is grown in the best soil, from the best strains, to provide a more chewy texture—as opposed to the more air-like quality of regular popcorn.
- It pops a larger kernel. Popcorn can pop forty to sixty times larger than the kernels.
Popcorn provides plenty of whole grains, so have more than a handful!
- It is popped fresh daily, and is usually offered with more unusual flavors than the standard butter popcorn, cheese popcorn and caramel corn.
While every day is a good day for popcorn, National Popcorn Day is January 19th. Plus, in 1999, then-Secretary of Agriculture Dan Glickman proclaimed October as National Popcorn Poppin’ Month.
Doc Popcorn, a gourmet popcorn franchise offers Better Butter, Caramel Kettle, Classic Kettle, Cheesy Cheddar, Hoppin’ Jalapeño (the only flavor we didn’t try, but it’s on our reorder list), Salt-n-Pepper, Sinfully Cinnamon and Sweet Butter. We tried six flavors, all very buttery and excellent. The standouts are flavors we generally don’t find elsewhere:
- Salt-n-Pepper Popcorn: A surprise standout because who knew that pepper was such a great popcorn topping, building to a light, peppery tingle? Everyone just salts it. Note to self: Add pepper to home-popped corn.
- Sweet Butter Popcorn: Butter popcorn with a light touch of sugar. If you like kettle corn (which has sugar and salt), try this flavor, too.
There are several gift options including party favors; everyone who receives a bag, box or tin will love it.
Better Butter, Caramel Kettle, Classic Kettle, Cheesy Cheddar, Hoppin’ Jalapeño, Salt-n-Pepper, Sinfully Cinnamon & Sweet Butter Popcorn
- Sampler Bags
Choice Of Up To Six Flavors
- Gift Box
Birthday or Get Well, With
Two Bags Of Popcorn
- One-Gallon Tin
- 3.5-Gallon Tin
Up To 3 Flavors
Purchase online* at DocPopcorn.com
From small bags to jumbo gift tins and party favors, Doc Popcorn offers alternatives for every occasion.
Go To The Article Index Above