Hot stuff: A smooth soup of bacon, potatoes, cheddar and chiles.
Recipe: Spicy Hot Potato Soup
With Chiles, Bacon & Cheddar
This recipe ratchets up the heat on potato soup with spicy chiles, adds crispy bacon, and finishes with a frisky green onion garnish. For more green color, cut the stem end of the onion into the soup. Serves 10.
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped poblano chilies
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons seeded and minced jalapeño pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cups diced peeled baking potatoes
- 2 cans (14 1/2-ounces each) fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups skim milk
- 5 ounces grated Cabot 50% Reduced Fat Jalapeño Cheddar
- 2 ounces Cabot 50% Reduced Fat Cheddar
- 2/3 cup chopped green onion
- In a large pot, cook bacon until crisp. Transfer to paper towel and set aside. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat.
- Add carrots, poblanos, onion, jalapeños, garlic and cumin; sauté until golden brown. Add potatoes, chicken broth and salt. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to maintain gentle simmer, cover pot and cook for 25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- In a bowl, gradually whisk milk into flour until mixture is smooth. Slowly whisk milk mixture into soup. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the soup is thickened, about 12 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat. Add cheeses, stirring until melted.
- Crumble reserved bacon. Ladle soup into bowls and top with bacon and green onion.
Recipe submitted by Shannon Justice of Chetopa, Kansas, courtesy of Cabot Creamery.
| Calories 164
Calories From Fat 164
Total Fat 5g
Saturated Fat 3g
| Sodium 505mg
Total Carbohydrates 19g
Dietary Fibers 5g
Recipe and photo © 2007 Cabot Creamery. All rights reserved. Other material
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved.