This Southwestern-seasoned macaroni and cheese casserole has plentiful chicken and four different Cheddars.
Gourmet Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Recipe IV: Mi Casa Chicken Pasta Casserole
Mi Casa Chicken Pasta Casserole Recipe
Terryl Propper was the 2007 Chicago Area Regional Winner of the Tillamook Macaroni & Cheese Recipe Contest with this Southwestern-themed mac & cheese. It uses orecchiette and four different Cheddars.
- 1 pound orecchiette* pasta
*Orecchiette literally means “little ears,” although some people find them more dome-shaped than ear-shaped. They work well with chunky meat and vegetable sauces.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 large cloves garlic, crushed through press
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3/4 cup chopped multi-color bell pepper
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups half and half
- 2-1/2 cup Southwestern-flavored chicken strips (thawed if frozen)
- 1 4-ounce can green chiles, drained
- 8-ounce Garlic Chili Pepper Cheddar, shredded
- 8-ounce Pepper Jack Cheddar, shredded
- 8-ounce Garlic White Cheddar, shredded
- 1 10-ounce Vintage White Sharp Cheddar, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup Vintage White Sharp Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup crushed multicolored tortilla chips
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- 1 sprig of cilantro
- Mini hot peppers
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook 10-12 minutes until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat and add onion and bell pepper. Sauté for 2-3 minutes on medium heat until onions are transparent. Add garlic and continue to sauté for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add flour and continue stirring for about 1 minute, being careful not to brown the mixture. Slowly add the half and half stirring, continuously after each addition until the mixture begins to thicken. Add the chicken stock a little at a time and continue stirring until the mixture is thick enough to coat a wooden spoon. Add the green chiles.
- Remove from heat and add the Garlic Chili Pepper Cheddar, Garlic White Cheddar, Pepper Jack and Vintage White Sharp Cheddar cheeses. Continue stirring until the cheese is melted.
- Add the chicken and salt and pepper to taste. Pour macaroni and cheese into a large casserole dish.
- Spread 1 cup Sharp Vintage White Cheddar cheese over the top of the casserole. In a separate pot, melt 3 tablespoons butter and combine with tortilla chips. Sprinkle on top of the casserole and bake in pre-heated oven for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro. Decorate plate with a sprig of cilantro and a mini hot red pepper. Serves 8+.
NEXT RECIPE: Pacific Northwest Macaroni & Cheese
WHEN YOU THINK “MAC & CHEESE,” THINK BEYOND ELBOW MACARONI.
In fact, most award-winning recipes use other shapes.
See the different pasta shapes in our
Recipe copyright Tillamook. Other material
Lifestyle Direct, Inc. All rights reserved. Images are the property of their respective owners.